Apply for the Lars Leksell Fellowship
The funds provided by the Society are intended to cover costs of living including cost for accommodation for up to $4,000 per month for the three-month fellowship period. The Society requires that the applicant, applicant’s own department, hospital or other funding source provide funds for the applicant’s travel, costs incurred during visa applications, insurance etc. Note that although the fellowship is intended to cover accommodation costs, the applicant is responsible for securing his or her accommodation and for making the necessary arrangements.
Applicants will learn all aspects of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery including but not limited to patient selection, frame application, treatment planning, the radiosurgical procedure itself and patient follow-up routines for all indications.
Successful applicants will obtain Gamma Knife surgery training for three months at one of the world’s pre-eminent radiosurgery centers, either in the United States, France or Morocco. The Leksell Gamma Knife Society will review applications in collaboration with the host centers and the successful candidates will be offered a fellowship at one of the seven training centers. The host centers and successful applicants will mutually agree on the dates during which the fellowships will take place.
In 2021 we announced the addition of our new host center, Centre National de Réhabilitation et des Neurosciences in Rabat, Morocco. This extension will further expand the reach to allow more young neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists from Africa to learn state of the art radiosurgery from a leading Gamma Knife center in this region.
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- the Center for Image Guided Neurosurgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh
- University of California San Francisco
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo
- University of Virginia Health System
- La Timone University Hospital in Marseille, France
- Centre National de Réhabilitation et des Neurosciences in Rabat, Morocco
The successful applicants are responsible for all health and accident insurance costs and neither the Society nor the host center assumes any liabilities in connection with the applicant's activities, professional or otherwise, during the duration of the fellowship.
Board certified (or international equivalent) neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists who have completed their residency training within the 5 years before the fellowship year they are applying.
HOW TO APPLY
When the application cycle opens again, interested candidates should apply by submitting the following documentation:
- Application form – click here to download when cycle is open
- Personal Statement (max 2000 characters), in which the applicant outlines their clinical and research interests, near and long-term plans (academic, practice) and expectations from the training program
- CV, including complete educational and professional background and all relevant supporting documents (e.g. transcripts, score reports, certificates)
- Letter of recommendation from Program Director or international equivalent, including name, titles and contact information
- At least one letter of recommendation from a physician whom has supervised the applicant in a clinical setting, including name, title and contact information
- Medical School Diploma
- Proof of board certification (or international equivalent)
- All applicants must have advanced knowledge of the English language. Applicants will be invited for a telephone interview conducted in English with the Society and the host center as part of the application process
It is important to note that the Society only accepts scanned copies of all applications and documents sent to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org. We will acknowledge receipt of your email within three working days. Kindly note that the documents need to be high-resolution, readable scans and titled with the correct document name. If transcripts are in a language other than English, please email us a translated copy along with the scan of the original document. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Screened applicants may be invited for a telephone interview conducted in English with the Society and/or the host center as part of the review process.
The application deadline for the next cycle is not apublished until the cycle is open.