The Ladislau and Melita Steiner Radiosurgery Fellowships
The Leksell Gamma Knife® Society will annually fund three international fellowships in stereotactic radiosurgery in memory of Professor Ladislau Steiner and his wife and close collaborator Doctor Melita Steiner. Professor Steiner worked closely with the Gamma Knife’s inventor, Professor Lars Leksell, and early on became a prominent figure in the field of Gamma Knife surgery. After leaving the Karolinska Hospital in Sweden, Professor Steiner established the Lars Leksell Gamma Knife Center at the University of Virginia in 1989, and continued his contributions there for over 20 years. These fellowships are instituted in commemoration of Professor Steiner’s and his wife's contributions to the field. The fellowships are intended to identify and annually fund three promising board certified neurosurgeons or radiation oncologists who are within five years of completion of their formal training (or international equivalent).
Successful applicants will obtain Gamma Knife surgery training during three months at one of the world’s pre-eminent radiosurgery centers either in the United States or France. The host centers for the 2018 fellowships are Cleveland Clinic Foundation, NYU Langone Medical Center, the Center for Image Guided Neurosurgery at UPMC in Pittsburgh, University of California San Francisco, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo and La Timone University Hospital in Marseille, France. The Leksell Gamma Knife Society will review applications in collaboration with the host centers and the successful candidates will be offered a fellowship at one of the seven training centers. Host centers and successful applicants will mutually agree on when during 2018 the fellowship will take place.
Applicants will learn all aspects of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery including but not limited to patient selection, frame application, treatment planning, the radiosurgical procedure itself and patient follow-up routines for all indications. Due to legal and insurance reasons non-US applicants will be allowed only observer status while US applicants may be allowed to work hands-on with patients.
The fellowship provides 4.000 US dollars per month for three months. The funds provided by the Society are intended to cover all costs of living including cost for accommodation. The Society requires that the applicant, applicant’s own department, hospital or other funding source provide funds for the applicant’s travel, any costs incurred during visa applications, insurance etc. Note that although the fellowship is intended to cover accommodation costs, the applicant is responsible for securing his or her accommodation and for making the necessary arrangements.
The successful applicants are responsible for all health and accident insurance costs and neither the Society nor the host center assumes any liabilities in connection with the applicant's activities, professional or otherwise, during the duration of the fellowship.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates apply by submitting the following documentation:
- Application form – click here to download
- Personal Statement (max 2000 characters), in which the applicant outlines their clinical and research interests, near and long-term plans (academic, practice) and expectations from the training program
- CV, including complete educational and professional background and all relevant supporting documents (e.g. transcripts, score reports, certificates)
- Letter of recommendation from Program Director or international equivalent, including name, titles and contact information
- At least one letter of recommendation from a physician whom has supervised the applicant in a clinical setting, including name, title and contact information
- Medical School Diploma
- Proof of board certification (or international equivalent)
- All applicants must have advanced knowledge of the English language. Applicants will be invited for a telephone interview conducted in English with the Society and the host center as part of the application process
Application deadline for the 2018 Fellowships: Sunday, October 15, 2017
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 15, 2017 WILL BE REVIEWED. REFERENCES AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
Please contact the Society Secretariat at email@example.com if you have any questions or if you require any assistance with your application.